Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Tackling Turnips

Most people have a vegetable that they just,  don't,  like.  I would have to say that as a child, for me that vegetable was peas.  This probably had more to do with the fact that we ate the canned ones that are slightly gray and mushy.  The first time I had fresh peas, I discovered that they were a completely different thing!!!  :)  :)

I love fresh peas now, and frozen peas too! 

I never had turnips as a child, and the first time I tasted them as an adult I was not impressed.  Since I am convinced that anyone can learn to like any vegetable if they find the right recipe, I went in search of a recipe that would enhance my appreciation of turnips. 

After trying several different ways to prepare turnips:  mashed, boiled, in a soup...

             I found that roasted turnips were the best (in my opinion)!

Here is a recipe that I adapted from one that was in my CSA newsletter last year.  It doesn't really give quantities, so I just try to use similar quantities of each vegetable (usually about 4 small turnips, 2 potatoes, 1 large onion, and 3 carrots).



Roasted Turnips & Veggies
Scrub the turnips and peel them if they are large.  Cut the turnips into 1/2 inch chunks.  Combine with chunks of peeled potatoes, peeled carrots, and onion in a baking pan (it is easier if you use a cookie sheet with sides like a jelly roll pan).  Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and mix gently with your hands.  Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees until tender, about 45 minutes (you can remove the foil for the last 5 minutes for crispier veggies).

Here is what my veggies looked like before roasting:



The veggies came out roasted and delicious!  Enjoy! 


What is a vegetable that you don't like?

1 comment: