Saturday, June 11, 2011

Pea Salad

Our garden is coming along slowly.  I am a little frustrated by the peas because we planted them about a month ago, and they are still so small.  There are not even any blossoms yet!






Not to mention the fact that we have a new problem in our garden this year, a bunny!  We have had rabbits in our neighborhood for several years now, but they have never bothered our garden.  This year, a rabbit has eaten several of the cantaloupe plants that I transplanted, which made me really mad!  I started those plants from seed way back in March and I have been coaxing them along indoors until I could put them outside. 

Anyway, I went to O'Tooles to see what they had in the way of rabbit "defense" products.  What I found was some fox urine.  You are supposed to put it around your garden and supposedly the rabbit will think a fox moved in and not bother your garden anymore.  I have put it in the little dispensers that come with it and placed it around our garden.  I hope it works- it sure does smell bad!!!!

Needless to say, we don't have any fresh peas yet, so I had to use frozen peas in the side dish I made for dinner tonight.  I like this dish because it is super easy, and has a great crunchy taste!

Crunchy Pea Salad
1, 10ounce package frozen peas, thawed
1, 8 ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup lowfat mayo
1/4 cup lowfat or fat free sour cream (or lowfat plain yogurt)
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt (such as Lawry's)

In a large bowl, combine the peas, water chestnuts, celery and green onions, Stir well.  In a small bowl, combine the mayo, sour cream and seasoned salt; mix well.  Add the mayo mixture to the pea mixture and stir well.  Chill salad before serving. 





2 comments:

  1. I made this with cut up sugar snap peas and added a bit of cheddar cheese. It was wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had this dish at a potlock and your recipe is closest I can find. I cant wait to make it myself! I will review it once I do!

    ReplyDelete