Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Green Bean and Feta Toss

I have been eating a lot of quinoa lately and experimenting with tossing in different veggies.  Quinoa is awesome because it is a source of high quality protein (which is unique for a grain).  I thought I would share my latest experiment which turned out beautifully! 

I can't wait until the green beans that I planted in my garden are ready so that I can try this with fresh green beans.  Green beans are one of those plants that don't like cold weather.  The package of green bean seeds said we had to wait until "all danger of frost has passed", which for Colorado is the end of May.  We planted the seeds last week, so it will be awhile before we have actual green beans.  I can't wait!


Green Bean and Feta Toss
4 1/2 cups frozen French-cut green beans
3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
6 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
pinch of salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 red onion, chopped
6 tablespoons chopped raw almonds

Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a medium saucepan.  Add the green beans and cook just until done (only about 2 minutes).  Drain and set aside.

In a big bowl, whisk together the Dijon mustard, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper.  Add the cooked green beans, the quinoa, feta, chopped onion and almonds.  Toss to combine.


Tip: use about 1/2 cup of uncooked quinoa to make about 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa.



Do you like quinoa?

1 comment:

  1. I love quinoa! My favorite way to eat it is to mix it with black beans and salsa for a quick and easy dinner.

    ReplyDelete