Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sweet Potatoes

We had some hail here last night!  I was already in bed but the sound of the hail stones pinging against the cars outside woke me up.  All I could do was lay there and hope that my garden was not getting demolished!  After raising my little tomatoes, eggplant, cantaloupe, and green peppers up from seeds that I started in February, I feel so protective of them.  I am very paranoid now that they have been transplanted outside that they will be destroyed in a few minutes by hail (which did happen to us a few years ago)!  Fortunately, when I went out and checked this morning, everything seemed to be in good shape. :) 

 
Since it will be awhile before I get any veggies from my garden, I had to make do with what I have in my house.  I was looking for a vegetable to go with dinner tonight and found a couple of sweet potatoes in the potato bin that were looking a little shriveled and needed to be used.  One of them was too far gone, but I used the other to make one of our favorite sweet potato dishes.  I love this casserole because it is pretty easy to throw together and my kids love it. It can easily be doubled, or even tripled which is what I do for Thanksgiving every year.

I didn't have any oranges, so I just used lemon zest and it was delicious!

Mini Sweet Potato Casserole
1 medium sweet potato
1 Tablespoon dried cranberries (or raisins)
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
dash of ground nutmeg
1/2 Tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
2 Tablespoons flaked coconut

Place the sweet potato in a saucepan, cover with water.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30-40 minutes or just until tender (check by poking with a fork).  Drain.  When the sweet potato has cooled enough to handle, peel off the skin and place it in a bowl.  Mash with a potato masher until smooth.  Stir in the cranberries, orange zest, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Mix the butter or margarine with the coconut.  Place the sweet potato mixture in a greased 1 1/2 cup baking dish.  Sprinkle the coconut mixture on the top.  Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment